Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Worm Farm Patience

I am at the point where I have to wait for the worms to grow. They are doing well. I want the population to grow to the point where I can release a pound of worms into my trench and feel confident that I will have that many new worms in my bin, or in my overall population to replace them if something goes wrong. I need to figure out how to feed them properly to keep the population on the rise.

My focus is on growing the population right now. I have many small bins started right now. I don't have space in any one bin to house the whole herd. So, I am going to keep them where they are right now and continue to feed them individually. I have been wanting to try out an experiment with a bin soon. I want use a fabric pot and slowly feed it til I have it full of castings. I will then take out the worms by some method that I feel will do the job, and plant a seed in it. Then take the worms to a new pot where I will do the same thing. I want to do this for many pots and also have a bin producing castings for top dressing and worm teas.

I want to get more worms. That seems to be the hard part. Being patient while the worms grow. So, back to my plan. I will focus on feeding the stackable worm farm until I have all 4 trays full. Next I will focus on the fabric pot. I need a way to quickly estimate my numbers.I need a way to quickly harvest. Well, maybe I could just take my time. I am rethinking the stackable trays. I believe it has about 1 1/2 square feet of surface area and each tray is about 6 inches deep. I would guess that 2 to 3 thousand worms should be a good amount of worms for this system. Once I reach those numbers I will need to harvest some amount on some sort of schedule and start filling my other projects to capacity. Once I have enough where the trench is producing a fine garden then I will start selling my stock.

I need to prove to myself that these critters can make me look like a decent gardener. These castings need to prove themselves before I can honestly sell the worms for this purpose. If I come into a few extra dollars somewhere I may order more worms to help speed up the process and I may look into getting a local group together of about ten people and go in on a 10 pound shipment or something like that. I wouldn't mind doing that. I will try and set something like that up. Maybe I will do that and try to get my worms paid for. Maybe I could go to the swapmeet and sell worms, or craigslist, or ... ebay? Who knows, if the worms act like they are supposed to then the worst that could happen is I get to eat healthy fruits and veggies that I grow myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment