Thursday, May 8, 2014

My Bokashi Experiment

I felt pretty brave and decided to make Bokashi Bran. I say brave because I made it all from home made ingredients, besides the wheat bran. That cost me about $20 for a 50 lb. bag. And Molasses, another $22 for a 5 gallon bucketful. At the whole food market they run about $10 for a liter or so. I bought both from some local feed stores. The lacto culture was the most sketchy part. I used rice wash in a mason jar to "catch" the lacto and then "fed" it some milk. Each step took around a week. Then I took the lacto and mixed it with some molasses and some water and mixed it into the wheat bran. I left that in an airtight bucket for three weeks to ferment.

The next part I drilled a few holes in a 5 gallon bucket and nested in another bucket the same size. I sprinkled some of the finished bran on the bottom of the "holy" bucket and threw some way over ripe bananas on there along with another dash of bran and placed a plastic bag on top of that mixture. I put a plastic pot saucer in the bag and a small ceramic pot on that to hold it down and keep it anaerobic.

That's where I am at right now. The plan is to put the finished Bokashi compost in my worm bins to feed my worms. The benefit of this method is to be able to compost more kitchen waste. Waste like bones and meat scraps, dairy and fats can all be "pickled" using the Bokashi method and then be safely fed to the worms.

We will see how this goes. So far I am pleased that my science experiment type of project has worked out like it should. No foul odors or strange colored molds, I am happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment