Friday, August 8, 2014

Experimental Results in My Worm Farming Adventures

I had been putting 100 worms every week into small shoe box containers. I was having mixed results. Some containers were growing and flourishing and others were not doing as well. I noticed that the bins that had more moisture were the ones that did better. The ones that had less moisture didn't seem as alive. It seems that the worms aren't as much at risk of drowning as some misinformation out there would like for you to think. I did end up putting all of the shoe box colonies back together in an in ground bin outside.

As far as I can tell, in the past 3 days, the worms seem fine outside. My worm trench is really starting to pick up too. I am not sure if it is due to the increased moisture it has been receiving or if it is the steer manure I fed it or if it is a combination of summer, moisture and food. Since I am in Southern California I don't think that winter is going to be much of a struggle.

Our winters here in this valley rarely ever even see frost. I mean there are some cold mornings, every year, where frost shows up but the ground has never frozen, that I am aware of. The combination of a mild winter and some warm compost should keep them comfortable for winter. I may even try to grow a tomato plant all winter long. I think my porch may be warm enough. The only problem is that there may not be enough daylight.

I also have a bucket with 3/8" hole drilled in it buried out in the yard. I have been putting some bokashi compost and some garden waste in it and there are tons of worms all over in there. My garden is starting to pick up. It has a long way to go before I will be satisfied with it but the combination of more water and the worms being near by is starting to make a difference. It may also be the steer manure I piled on top of the worm trench. Any way you look at it I am getting better results. I am going to make a new trench with a 2' garden on each side of it. I am pleased with my results so far and I believe I will continue to improve as time goes on. As I start to see improvement I also gain motivation to do more work in the garden. It is a matter of how much you have to feed to the worms and how much room you have to keep them.

I recently picked up a new worm factory. I really need to start taking advantage of the nearby sources of free horse manure and start growing more worms faster. I only have so much time each day and only so much irrigation. I need to invest in more hoses and more sprinklers. That would allow me to care for more gardens with less effort. I could also build a shelter for a large quantity of worms. I could grow worms in large rubbermaid bins and sell worms and produce enough castings to keep my yard green. So, my new goal is to automate my irrigation and build a worm shack to house a large population of worms. In order to do that I need to start investing time in getting worm food supply. I will have to buy them food which may be a good investment but getting free manure is even more cost effective. I want to sell them locally but also online. There is a lake nearby that I may be able to sell bait worms to and there are lots of small farms. I need to start making money from my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment