Sunday, April 6, 2014

Surprising Results

Day before yesterday I placed a few pieces of strawberry and even a whole one that was going bad into the fabric pot that has the worms I ordered in it. This evening when I pulled back the cardboard on top there were no more strawberries visible. There are still pieces of the stems but no red. The cabbage I fed to them isn't disappearing very fast so maybe I should feed them more moist materials. I am pleasantly surprised at how well these worms are doing.

I am beginning to wonder if the other worms I've collected from the yard may be a different species or maybe the warmer indoor temperatures are preferred for the worms vigor. The outdoor bins seem to be doing ok too! They just haven't been fed strawberries for a long time. Tomorrow I am going to cut up a watermelon and give them some rinds. I've also got a pineapple I need to cut up. Not too sure the pineapple is the greatest thing to feed worms so I think I'm just going to feed it to the compost pile.

This is a really fun hobby and the work is so minuscule to care for them. I try to think of things to do for my worms because most of the time you just toss a little food in there and leave them alone for a few days. I am planning on building more bins soon so that I have more to do. That will also spawn many more worms who will make me tons of nutrient rich soil additive for my organic garden veggies and plants.

Action plan is to continue adding worms to my new bins.

No comments:

Post a Comment