Friday, April 25, 2014

The Worms Are Doing Fine

Not much to report lately the worms keep eating what ever I give them. They eat soft watery foods faster than the dryer thicker stuff. Like strawberries, they devour them in about 2 days. The cabbage or lettuce hearts take a bit longer. I have started a Bokashi bran experiment. In case you don't know what that is it is a type of fermentation using specific anaerobic bacteria to pickle your compostables. I am guessing that the worms will be able to process things like cabbage hearts much faster once they go through the Bokashi Process.

I started from scratch on this one. Bokashi kits and the bran are too expensive for me. There are plenty of websites out there that tell you how to grow your own bacteria that you use to inoculate the bran which in turn you use for pickling your waste. Then the process is much faster. There are youtube and other sites that show you step by step how to build a bokashi compost kit. Once it starts it only takes about 2 weeks to be ready to feed to the worms.

That is the way I intend on using it. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that it also expands the possible inputs to your compost. Meat, dairy, and even citrus and garlic are ok. No waste, all recycle. I like the idea. Right I am waiting for my Bokashi Bran to finish fermenting and be ready for use. That is what it seems like is happening, you hurry up and do something and then wait. It seems like forever. I guess I could be building more bins and setting up more "worm traps" around the yard. I just don't want to be buying any more worms. They are expensive. I also need to start gathering more "weeds" and composting them to feed to the worms.

I did get a few pictures on my phone that I need to post. I'll do that later in this post as an edit. I can do that from my phone but it is hard to type on my phone so it takes more time to take pictures and post them. That's all for today. 

 

That is the shoe box sized container that I drilled some holes in and layered with sphagnum peat moss. I added some cooked rice and some coffee grounds at the time of this picture. They finished all that and now I have an apple core and some strawberry tops in there. I added 50 worms to this bin and they are doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment